Monday, October 6, 2008

The Buddha Response

In the first part of this passage, I kind of like what it says. With most religions, to convert you have to go through baptism, but before that you really have to devote yourself to the religion. You have to prove yourself to the Pastor, Bishop, Rabbi, whoever it may be, that you are in for it til the end. With Buddhism it seems like I can just says I am a Buddhist right now. To me, it seems like this religion comes down to common sense. You know whats good and you know whats bad. Keep doing good things and you win. Stay away from the bad, you win. Pretty easy!
With the man with the boat scenario and how it said to let go of the truths once you have arrived, I do not believe I have fully grasped what that means. Let go of truths to make room for more truths since you already understand what you learned? I am not sure..
I love how it says to "be a lamp to yourself". You are your own light. Sure, others will come and go and try to help along the way, but everyone only cares about themselves. You have control over how much you believe in yourself. "Be your own confidence". Same thing. Some may come into your life and build your confidence sooo high, but then they leave and it all comes crumbling down. Some may come into your life and lower your confidence until you cannot even look at yourself in the mirror because you are so disgusted. No one needs either of those people. All you need is yourself because at the end of the day, you're all you got.

No comments: