Monday, October 6, 2008

Wu-Men Response

When we mentioned koans in class, I figured it sounded easy enough to understand, so I didn't write it down. Now, after reading this, I wish I had so I didn't have to take the time to research it some more.
What I do not understand the most is, why can't these people think "normally". For example, when I think of a strawberry I think, "it is something I really enjoy eating and it goes well with chocolate or powdered sugar." When Hindu or Buddhists think of it, I feel that they would think, "This is a fruit with leaves at the end, maybe these green leaves symbolize the envy that strawberries have for raspberries because they don't have leaves and maybe...." I can not even go on because it is too much for my brain to handle!
In this koan they made it so much more intricate than it needed to be. Talking about all the hair follicles in one's head and eyebrow hairs tangling, the amount of bones in the body and swallowing red hot iron balls?! With all this "fluff" that they add it makes my mind wander and I can't understand what this really comes down to.
Pretty much, I feel that this comes down to just being a better person. Learn from your mistakes, throw away the attitudes you once had because it did not get you anywhere. "You're like a mute person who has a dream-- You know it for yourself alone" You know what you have to do to be successful. You know what you need. It is your prerogative whether or not you want to share that with others.
And as for this whole "Mu" deal, I STILL do not understand. I feel like "Mu" means "whatever". As the Hindu (or is it Buddhists, I don't even know anymore) would say, "It is what it is".

No comments: